Monday, May 21, 2012

May 21st: National Waitress/Waiter Day


There is really no way to beat around the bush here.  Waiting tables sucks.  I’ve done it… and when you only get paid $2.13 an hour and have to rely on tips to make your rent and car payment, it is the closest thing to prostitution without having to be naked.  The stress of needing tips is what made me a terrible waiter.  In later years I have volunteered as a server at charity dinners and I was actually a rock-star of a waiter… which goes to show you… the subtext of needing money can ruin a good thing.

Sure, some waitresses and waiters make really good change and can compartmentalize the stress better than I could.  My wife was a fantastic waitress.  But no matter how good you are… waiting tables is a very demeaning job.

So, in honor of National Waitress & Waiter Day I encourage you to go out to eat.  Order something normal as it is written on the menu without substitutions… don’t forget to say please and thank you… and tip 30%!

No comments:

Post a Comment